Re: [suse-security] kernel panic under high load
  • From: Christoph Egger <egger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 12:29:37 +0100
On Thursday, 3. January 2002 11:27, jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 January 2002 04:19 am, Christoph Egger wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I use SuSE 7.3 on a file server with Samba 2.2.1a (shipped with SuSE
> > 7.3). But under high load, the SuSE Kernel panics.
> >
> > I am now downloading kernel 2.4.17 to compile and install myself.
>
> I noticed no one addressed the subject of whether the kernal panic is
> samba related or kernel related. What lead you to believe it was either?

Well, the keyboard LED's were blinking, no disk activity, no network
activity... I couldn't login via network (ssh/telnet), nor directly from the
terminal. A hard reset was a must.

As of this writing I am running 2.4.17 now. I am going to update Samba (TNX
for the answers, btw) and will retest, if that fixed the problems.

> Or are you trying a shotgun approach.
>
> (Interested, because I've just installed two such server in the last
> two weeks and have seen no panics even when dumping tons
> of data onto the servers drives thru samba).

Which kernel do you run? Do you use the SuSE Kernel coming with SuSE 7.3?
Which version of Samba do you use?

--
CU,
Christoph