httpd.log-entries
  • From: "OKDesign oHG Security Administrator" <security@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 00:43:24 +0100
Hi folks,

sorry if this was already discussed.

In my httpd.error_log I can find hundreds of entries which show that I get
permanently scanned for "root.exe" and "cmd.exe". Okay cmd.exe is of course
the command interpreter of Windows-Systems. This interpreter is being
searched in lots of locations (winnt/system32 and different other locations;
of course without affort as I'm runnign a linux-System). But I've never
heard of root.exe. What is this ? root sounds familiar *sigh* but I've never
heard of a root.EXE...
As this scans also take place on my Dial-In-machine, there seems to be a
scanprogram which scans the range(s). Does anybody know of such a
scanprogram ? Is there any danger for my linux-system ?

thx.
Stephan