Re: [suse-security] non-working mail-funktion
  • From: Mark Tinka <aknit44@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 05:51:16 +0000 (GMT)
--- Steffen Dettmer <steffen@xxxxxxx> wrote: > * Mark
Tinka wrote on Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 05:46
> +0000:
> > before moving to postfix, i also experienced this
> > problem with sendmail.... it needed to be
> restarted
> > twice before it could start a listener process on
> 25
>
> This sounds like a socket timeout problem. Usually
> it takes a few
> seconds to listen(2) on a socket again, before a
> "socket in use"
> is returned. The timings depend on the state of the
> socket (were
> there connections or not...).

well, that's strange, because i went for whole weekend
without mail, after the process was restrarted to
re-read the config file.. this was scary for me... a
status check would show sendmail is running, but
telnet to 25 brought back nothing..

> > defining the full path to the daemon.. that is..
>
> You mean full path to the rc-script? I don't think
> that this is
> involved.

here i meant that the full path to the
/etc/init.d/sendmail script... the rcsendmail command
didn't seem to work, even when u run it more than
once...