Re: [suse-security] kernel panic under high load
  • From: Peter Wiersig <wiersig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 09:24:54 +0100
Am Donnerstag, 3. Januar 2002 16:36 schrieb Markus Gaugusch:
> [lot of stuff deleted - please people: learn to quote!!]

Who said the following paragraph? You should not delete that.

> > Another problem: NFS! When I try to mount a directory via nfs, the
> > fileserver [...]
> > on the client side, the mount command needs a loooong time to exit. When
>
> You need to start portmap (rcportmap start) on client side (enable it in
> rc.config to have it running after booting).

Hi Markus,

can you or somebody on this list explain to me why nfs-mounts need portmap on
the client?

Or is there some documentation which I oversaw?

I have "Building Internet Firewalls, 2nd Ed." in which RPC-based services
such as nfs are described as this:

server registers to portmapper
client asks portmapper "where is nfs"
portmapper responds "nfs ist on port <abcd>"
client requests server

I have googled a bit but never found a hint why portmap must be running on
the client.

If I don't have portmap the mount succeeds after a long time and has no
further delays when accessing files.

If I start portmap, mount the share, and kill portmap afterwards everything
seems to do work.

Can someone enlighten me, please?

Peter