Re: [suse-security] remote admin: ssh vs. webmin
  • From: david lubowa <ziggydavie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 02:06:04 -0800 (PST)

you can look into sudo ...and you can set PermitRootLogin to "no" in sshd_config if you dont want to log in as root.
hope this helps
ciao
Matt Hubbard <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: List,

I know that I shouldn't log in remotely as root via ssh, but how can I
start/stop networking daemons or manipulate config files in the /etc
without this level of access? Should I use something like webmin
instead? Can I create a user that has write privileges in the /etc
directory and should this user be capable of starting /stopping network
daemons? Just looking for direction on this subject.

Thanks,

Matt Hubbard