Re: [suse-security] optimal kernel config for firewall gateway ?
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 18:35:09 +0100 (MET)

> Ok. If you install a kernel with modul support it doesn't consume memory
> or performance until the module is really used and loaded. That's clear.
> But what about driver or other things compiled directly into the kernel, so
> that the kernel grows ?
> Does this also has no effect on the kernel performance, e.g packet filtering,
> traffic management,... ?

Well, if you compile a kernel with ip-forwarding turned on but filtering
disabled, one would expect that the router is faster because the code is
just missing in the kernel. On a reasonably fast machine I'd say that
these effects should be neglectable.

Is anybody volunteering to test and measure/benchmark the differences?

> Bye
> Markus

Roman.
--