Re: [suse-security] remote admin: ssh vs. webmin
  • From: Roland Hilkenbach <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 13:01:04 +0100
Matt Hubbard wrote:

> List,
>
> I know that I shouldn't log in remotely as root via ssh, but how can I
> start/stop networking daemons or manipulate config files in the /etc
> without this level of access? Should I use something like webmin
> instead? Can I create a user that has write privileges in the /etc
> directory and should this user be capable of starting /stopping network
> daemons? Just looking for direction on this subject.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matt Hubbard

Hi,
would it be an acceptable solution to
1) login to remote server via ssh
(protocol v2 of course) // crypto/secure
2) using password agent // preventing keyboard sniffing
3) using webmin (restricted to
localhost) // no access from outer space
4) login as admin // not root so no use for hacker

Maybe X-forwarding may cause trouble or riscs but other than that _I_
can think of no big problems (but that has nothing to say...).

Roland