Strange Behaviour of SuSEfirewall
  • From: Albert Brandl <albert.brandl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 14:01:41 +0100
Hi!

I've just stumbled across a rather strange thing. When starting up
SuSEfirewall (version 1 or two), the script most of the time complains
that "eth0 is not active". When I had a look at the script, I saw that it
tries to find the ip address by calling ifconfig and digesting the output
via sed and awk.

The problem: awk searches for "inet addr:", but ifconfig returns "inet
Adresse:". It seems that SuSEfirewall relies on a english version of
ifconfig.

Is there any easy workaround besides patching the script? I'm not quite
sure if my knowledge of shell scripts would suffice to patch the thing by
myself... ;-)

Best regards

Albert Brandl

< Previous Next >