Re: [suse-security] POP3S using qpopper and sslwrapper
  • From: Stephan Krause <Stephan.Krause@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 08:18:50 +0100
Evert Smit wrote:

Hi all,

first post to the group, so bear with me :)

I am trying to setup an encryptet way to enable myself and my company an
encryted communication with our external mail server.

So far i have gotten the following: Suse 7.3 with qpopper 4.x and sslwrap
2.10
Entry in the inetd.conf file
- pop3s stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/popper -s /usr/sbin/sslwrap -cert
/usr/ssl/certs/certificatename.pem -port 110

Error i get in /var/log/mail
Jan 14 07:50:12 eoel -s[6075]: (null) at line-zh-103-029.adsl.xxx.xx
(x.x.x.x): -ERR POP EOF or I/O Error [popper.c:794]

This concludes to me, that i've been doing something wrong :) Now if someone
has done this before, would it be possible to englighten me, as i cannot
really find the same information on the web. And while we're at it, i would
lke to do the same thing for the smtp protocol using sendmail.

regards
Evert

oot: if someone knows a link where setup of sendmail with user
authentication is explained.. i will be thankful for the rest of my life ;)

Hi Evert,

POP3S works on port 995

try this:

inetd.conf:
pop3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /opt/popper/sbin/popper -s -d ## port 110
pop3s stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /opt/popper/sbin/popper -f <POPPER-CFG-FILE> ## port 995
## (you can use both in parallel)

<POPPER-CFG-FILE>:
set clear-text-password = ssl
set tls-support = alternate-port
set tls-version = all
set tls-server-cert-file = <MAIL-SERVER-CERTIFICATE>

see the documentation how to generate your own certificate (with openssl):
http://www.eudora.com/qpopper/

hth,
stephan.