Re: [suse-security] ipchains...iptables...help
On Monday 14 January 2002 21:25, you wrote:

> I am trying to configure the Linux box to allow masquerading so I can get
> access to the net on the windows box via the Linux box. I have tried
> installing iptables but there seems to be a problem.... The command
> iptables -L produces loads of errors like
>
> xx/xxx/ip_tables.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
> xx/xxx/ip_tables.o: insmod xx/xxx/ip_tables.o failed
> ending with ..... Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

Did you check that the ipchains compatability module was not already loaded
using lsmod? If so unload it before 'modprobe iptables' and see if that
solves your problem.

You can also fairly simply do IP Masquerading with the ipchains module,
there's an ipchains HOWTO at linuxdoc.org.

Even simply, is to go into YaST2 and enable SuSE Personal Firewall, with the
network interface followed by masq in the REJECT_ALL_INCOMING variable, ie.
something like 'eth0 masq' will masquerade everything and block incoming
connections to your linux box. Also a hand edit of
/etc/rc.config.d/security.rc.config followed by /sbin/SuSEconfig is quite
sufficient to set this up.

REJECT_ALL_INCOMING_CONNECTIONS="eth0 masq"

You should also enable IP forwarding if you have not already done so.

Rob