Re: [suse-security] Server shut down by hacker ??
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:43:06 +0100 (MET)
> Hi,
> sorry if I am offtopic, but I am not sure why my co-located server shuts
> down abruptly. This is the second time, the first time it needed a file
> system check, and in the logs there was an entry that someone startet a
> X. auth (or so) ?

You don't need to be sorry if you're offtopic, you need to stop writing
mails that are offtopic.

> I use Suse 7.2, kernel 2.4.7, proftpd 2.2.4rc2 (newest), apache 1.3.19, sendmail 9.1.2, sshd (prot 2 +1!!!)
> i alsouse a IDE RAID Controller from 3ware, which hasn't caused any trouble yet...

We will issue a kernel announcement today or tomorrow. For now, install
2.4.16 from ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/7.2/kernel/ and see if
it goes away.

My guess is that your 3ware controller and your disks suck too much
electric power from the power supply, or there is another hardware bug.
Security implications are possible, but why would a cracker reboot your
system?

> Is this problem know to someone ? sorry, this is getting very annoying ;-(
>
> thanks so far.
> Gero

Roman.