Re: [suse-security] Server shut down by hacker ??
  • From: Albert Brandl <albert.brandl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 10:59:49 +0100
On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 10:43:06AM +0100, Roman Drahtmueller wrote:

> My guess is that your 3ware controller and your disks suck too much
> electric power from the power supply, or there is another hardware bug.
> Security implications are possible, but why would a cracker reboot your
> system?

Maybe he has troianed the kernel sources, compiled a new kernel and wants
to activate it. Or he has modified an init-script and wants to make sure
it works. He just might to cover his traces and make sure his programs
have been terminated. I'm sure people who know the boot process better
than me could name several other reasons for rebooting a machine.

Best regards,

Albert Brandl

< Previous Next >