Re: [suse-security] Two questions about services on the local host and SuSEfirewall2?
  • From: Ben Rosenberg <ben@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 16:07:38 -0800
What your trying to do has nothing to do with firewalling. It's an X
thing. If you want to start something in X as root while logged in as a
regular user then you would have to su to root with the command "sux".
This will let you execute GUI programs in X as root.

* Paul Elliott (pelliott@xxxxxx) [020119 16:05]:
->
->Q1)
->Does it make sense or is it usefull to talk about the loopback interface
->as a trusted interface?
->FW_DEV_INT="lo"
->
->Or is this in some sense builtin?
->
->Q2)
->Is there any reason while the "root" account can not start a local
->xterm, but other users can?
->
->Password:
->hrnowl:/home/pelliott # xterm
->Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
->Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
->Warning: This program is an suid-root program or is being run by the root user.
->The full text of the error or warning message cannot be safely formatted
->in this environment. You may get a more descriptive message by running the
->program as a non-root user or by removing the suid bit on the executable.
->xterm Xt error: Can't open display: %s
->hrnowl:/home/pelliott # echo $DISPLAY
->:0
->hrnowl:/home/pelliott #
->
->
->How do I do I change this? Only for the localhost, A similar problem
->is preventing me from doing a "make xconfig"
->
->Thank You.
->
->P.S.
->I would be using the personal firewall rather than SuSEfirewall2
->except I have to cut a hole for my connection to my ntp server
->for chrony.

Ben Rosenberg mailto:ben@xxxxxxxxx
I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...