Re: [suse-security] Is bind 9.1.0 secure?
  • From: "Kurt Seifried" <listuser@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 06:40:30 -0700
> On Monday 21 January 2002 12:39, Kurt Seifried wrote:
> > It got bad enough that OpenBSD dropped his software from _ports_.
>
> That is not too hard. And it was not done for security issues but because
of
> philosophies concerning the position of programms in the filesystem. Mr.
de
> Raadt has his own way to communicate that I personaly believe to be
offending
> making me avoid any discussion with him. Mr. Bernstein, too, is shurely
not the
> easiest communication partner. Everyone could tell that sooner or later
DJB
> software would no longer be part of the OpenBSD ports. No problem.

This is also true for Linux vendors. Relying ons oftware that is not free is
a bad idea, for example IBM's open sourc elicense included a revocaiton
clause, until that was removed very few large players used postfix.

> Now, to be a little on topic, any security problems so far with bind9? I
use

I posted a link to the isc page, none so far.

> DJBDNS but some customers prefer bind, so is it necessary or wise to
install
> bind 9.1.0 instead of bind 8x?

I would. Bind 9 was a rewrite, there are likely sitll bugs lurking in 8.x.

> TIA
>
> mike

-Kurt

< Previous Next >