Re: [suse-security] Squid 2.4 and Squid 2.5; Security or what!!
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 18:01:08 +0100 (MET)
> hi list..
>
> i was wondering why SuSE is always shipping stable
> Squid versions in its distro releases, that are over a
> year old.. for instance, SuSE 7.2 Pro ships with
> Squid-2.3 STABLE3, by default.. while this is the
> stable version, Squid-2.4, which is on the CDs as
> well, is not stable, and is still in beta stages...
>
> i am sure SuSE 7.3 Pro has somewhat the same problem,
> correct me if am wrong.. is it a security issue that
> SuSE doesn't release it's distros with the latest
> Squid versions, or something else... the rest of the
> world is currently working with Squid-2.5, which is
> soon being released as stable.. what is SuSE up
> to..?.. any ideas at least when Squid-2.4 will become
> mainstream..?..
>
> thanks.. AKNIT

There is no benefit of having the most recent version around if it crashes
on you sometimes. "soon released as stable" is not an argument. squid
doesn't have any eyecandy features, so why do you bother in the first
place?

This is a matter of professional version selection in order to provide a
stable and secure operating system with additional software.
This is about maturity and reliability, and believe me, it's better to
have a version out that is a bit grey than having one that needs a cron
daemon to check if it is still running (or if there are updates
available). The developers of these software packages greatly appreciate
that we don't ship any beta software on our CDs. This gives the software
an according reputation.

Since (even) the default installation gives you the opportunity to
recompile your squid-2.5 package all on your own, I don't see any damage
here.

Roman.
--
- -