Re: [suse-security] Squid 2.4 and Squid 2.5; Security or what!!
  • From: Peter Poeml <poeml@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 19:43:43 +0100
On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 04:50:08PM +0000, Mark Tinka wrote:
> hi list..

Hi Mark,

> i was wondering why SuSE is always shipping stable
> Squid versions in its distro releases, that are over a
> year old.. for instance, SuSE 7.2 Pro ships with
> Squid-2.3 STABLE3, by default.. while this is the
> stable version, Squid-2.4, which is on the CDs as
> well, is not stable, and is still in beta stages...
>
> i am sure SuSE 7.3 Pro has somewhat the same problem,
> correct me if am wrong.. is it a security issue that

On 7.3 you'll find squid-2.3.STABLE4 and squid-2.4.STABLE2 which I think
is reasonable. When you want to run newer versions you will have to roll
your own anyway because we can't update the CDs that are already sold.
Our aim is, first of all, to provide stable packages for all other
people :)

Carrying around three versions of squid is a bit much, same holds true
for the bind stuff -- it is (we dropped bind 4, so it was) hard to
maintain packages with the whole bunch of stable _and_ beta releases of
bind 4, 8 and 9 properly. Plus bugfix/security updates. Especially if
you take into account their turnover rate ;) Somewhere you have to draw
a line.

> SuSE doesn't release it's distros with the latest
> Squid versions, or something else... the rest of the
> world is currently working with Squid-2.5, which is
> soon being released as stable.. what is SuSE up
> to..?.. any ideas at least when Squid-2.4 will become
> mainstream..?..

Isn't it?

Peter

--
VFS: Busy inodes after unmount. Self-destruct in 5 seconds. Have a nice day...