Re: [suse-security] Squid 2.4 and Squid 2.5; Security or what!!
On Monday 21 January 2002 17:23, you wrote:

> okay Roman, understood... thanks for the info.. it's
> just that i got a small bug that was treated in
> Squid-2.4, something about an insane file size in
> Squid swap state.. i like to use the SuSE verions of
> squid because i think it's thoroughly tested and more
> stable.. but what about the patches that were applied
> to the problems in these earlier versions..

On this point, I reported a problem in Squid's Bugzilla, a while back, when
running Red Hat, this was after a fair amount of investigation of a number of
squid issues, most of which had patches available for download. The nice
thing with rpm was (well under RH at least), that it was relatively easy to
judge, from the spec file and patches applied to the 'pristine sources', what
state the package actually was in.

Using source rpm's and updating them for new pristine sources, or additional
patches applied by altering the spec file, makes upgrading much simpler and
less error prone. Can't you simply adapt the SuSE source rpm, with a new
release in the same way?

The SuSE ones I've loaded include dif files, perhaps not quite as simple as
seperate fix patches, and one for configuration, that Red Hat use, but it
should be not too difficult to follow the modifications.

Rob