Re: [suse-security] syslog on 72 version question
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 04:37:20 +0100 (MET)

> sorry to ask you off list but I have problems interpreting your answer:

I'm sorry. I should have been clearer with my wording.

> > No... The syslogd package is one of those that has fewer changes than
> > the television standards around the world. 7.1 and 7.2 have basically
> > the same version.
>
> Now did 7.2 ship with the same syslogd version 7.1 shipped, or does 7.2 ship
> including the suggested update?

You can always consult the changelogs of the package:

rpm -qp --changelog syslogd.rpm

I think that bug you're referring to is related to zero-bytes from the
kernel causing klogd to consume CPU. This was a fix in 7.1 (the update
package is for it) and of course included into 7.2. You'll see werner's
changes in the changelog. There was even some discussion about whether
this would qualify as a security update.

> I have a problem with a server that only shows about once a week (and not an a
> regular base making it hard to debug) and I think syslogd could be involved. So
> if 7.2 shipped with the update allready installed I will immediately search for
> other sources of the problem, if 7.2 has the vulnerable version I will upgrade
> and see if that corrects the problems.
>
> TIA
>
> mike
>
> PS. If it is of interest the problem seems to be that logging is stopped
> (syslogd and klogd are still active according to "ps") and within about five
> hours the system becomes slower and slower and stops responding to one service
> after the other (starting with DNS, then login and ssh, and samba at last but
> swat is still responsive).

Deterministic approach: Do the problems vanish if you nuke syslogd and
restart it? If yes, it is the syslogd, if no, it's something else.

We haven't heard of any problems with syslogd in 7.2 (and 7.1 after the
update).

Roman.
--
- -