Re: [suse-security] Why can't root login at xdm on one system?
  • From: Andreas Baetz <andreas.baetz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 08:37:06 +0100
On Friday 18 January 2002 08:40, Reckhard, Tobias wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Does anyone have an idea why xdm can't successfully verify root's password
> on one of my systems? This not only prevents root from logging in, but also
> forces me to login to be able to shut the system down, because I've set the
> system to allow only root to perform shutdown. This is the only one of my
> SuSE 7.3 systems with this problem. I've compared /etc/pam.d/xdm,
> /opt/kde2/share/config/kdm/kdmrc, /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow. I see
> nothing in /var/log/messages, /var/log/warn or /var/log[k|x]dm to indicate
> a problem when I attempt to login as root. I *can* su to root.
Just a thought:
It could be possible that you have some special keys in your password
that get a different interpretation in xdm and in a terminal. I once had the
problem that I could login to kdm with a certain password, but was unable to
unlock the screensaver with the same password. The problems were some
german keys with Alt-Gr. You could change your password to some letters etc.
(without special chars) and try again.

Andreas Baetz

the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been scanned
for the presence of computer viruses.