Re: [suse-security] Why MY ftp failed always
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 23:35:23 -0900
On Monday 21 January 2002 07:17 pm, you wrote:
> > > 421 Service not available, remote server has closed
> > > connection
> > >

> > > i changed the file like
> > >

> > > Search for the following entries in /etc/inetd.conf :
> > > ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd wu.ftpd -a
> > > # ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.ftpd
> >
> > You have to start inetd daemon, if it is started then reload it for
> > changes to take effect.
> > Also make sure that wu-ftpd is installed (in your case), I would recomend
> > ProFTPD instead.
> >
> > /etc/rc.d/inetd reload
>
> Also wrong. The error message from the client
>
> "421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection"
>
> indicates that the tcp connection has been established but then closed
> very soon after. This usually happens if inetd can't run the daemon that
> it is supposed to start. In our case, inetd runs /usr/sbin/tcpd, the
> tcp-wrapper, and this one will want to run wu.ftpd. It is highly likely
> that the wuftpd package isn't installed (See with "rpm -q wuftpd"). Get it
> from the update directory on ftp.suse.com. It had security weaknesses
> lately.

Will also exhibit this result if wuftpd decided to quit due to improper
configuration files, or in-ability to bind to port or some such. This will
generate messages in /var/log/warn or one of the other logs (I forget
just which one, tail them after a connect -failure to see).

--
John Andersen / Juneau Alaska