Re: [suse-security] Re: [SLE] Kernel RPMs in the ftp sites.
  • From: Peter Nixon <nix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 19:05:08 +0200
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 10:35:12 -0500
Nadeem Hasan <nhasan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Anders Johansson wrote:
> >
> > On Saturday 19 January 2002 18.19, Nadeem Hasan wrote:
> > > You are assuming that
> > > everyone uses and needs initrd. That is not true.
> >
> > and you are assuming everyone uses and needs lilo. That is not true.
> >
> > look at grub, for instance
>
> My bad in assuming that :) You are right, it would be a *really* bad
> idea if lilo was executed automatically. But I am still unable to buy
> the initrd idea from ckm. He keeps talking about people needing initrd,
> while I was only talking about people who don't. Those are the people
> who don't use reiserfs for root fs, scsi disks or RAID and hence don't
> need to build initrd. I was one of those till lately, before I moved
> to ext3 on LVM :)

If you keep up with the Linux Kernel Mailinglist, you will notice that the plan is to make initrd mandatory in 2.5x >

I'm pretty sure if you know that you do not need initrd on your boxes that you know what to do and not do :-)

--
Viel SpaƟ

Peter Nixon - nix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SuSE Security FAQ Maintainer
http://www.susesecurity.com/faq/

"If you think cryptography will solve the problem, then you don't understand cryptography and you don't understand your problem."