sysadmin ethics after security breach
  • From: Matt Hubbard <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 13:30:23 GMT
List,

Assuming you can positively identify the origin of a successful crack
(and that's a big assumption considering drones, spoofing, etc.) what
does the community of sysadmins think about vigilante justice? Should we
just counter-strike if there is no legal recourse? As a young sysadmin,
I am looking for a moral principle. Responding in a legal manner is what
distinguishes us from the cracker, right? Still, I get very angry just
thinking about the possibility of a successful attack on one of my
systems. Any thoughts? Apologies if this seems off topic - but I am
studying many of the popular attacks and as a result I am in the
difficult position of knowing how to use them (as well as defend against
them).

Matt Hubbard

< Previous Next >