Re: [suse-security] secure way of rsyncing ?
On Thursday 24 January 2002 13:16, Jens Georg wrote:

> i have to keep three servers uptodate and i would like to do this using
> rsync. as far as i know there are several security concerns about rsync, so
> is there another tool available that can do this for me ? btw ... i am
> using sftp to encrypt my ftp-session ? maybe there's a similiar tool for
> rsync available, too ?

Are you confusing rsync with old versions of rdist, and the other r commands
which used host based privileged port authentication?

As discussed in previous thread on rsync, use rsync -essh for the transport
to be ssh (modern versions of rdist also allow you to choose alternative
remote shells from rsh), and don't enable rsync daemons in inetd.conf.

Rob