Re: [suse-security] bug in SuSE Security Announcement: rsync (SuSE-SA:2002:004)???
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 13:07:15 +0100 (MET)

> it seems a little bit more complicated i thought:
>
> if the file doesn´t exists on the remote site, or the file was not changed
> (time or size)
> since last transfer, rsync works.
> if the file was changed the transfer works only with text/ascii files but
> not with binary files!!!!:

I believe that this version of rsync is somewhat buggy, and there is
another bug in there. I guess the heap gets corrupted somewhere, while the
bug _may_ be related to the signedness fixes from Sebastian in a manner
that a bug-to-bug compatibility gets destroyed. We have been playing
around with it for quite some time, but there's nothing that is
reproduceable. All testers should make sure though that the shlibs package
from the 7.0 update tree is installed because it fixes some bugs with
return values of system calls into the glibc.

If you have more severe problems with that package on 7.0 or 6.4, then
just grab the source rpm from 7.1 and do

rpm --rebuild rsync.spm

on it. You'll end up having a 2.4.6 rsync package in
/usr/src/packages/RPMS.

Have a nice weekend.
Roman.
--