Re: [suse-security] PHP-Majordomo to execute commands on demand?
  • From: Leonel Rivas <leorivas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 10:24:12 -0800 (PST)
I've done so: leave ssh running , and after logging,
run the inetd to have other services, then, i stop it
before leaving. BUT, checking the messages file, a
have already found some ssh scans (it tells DONT
PANIC, and dunno what it means), so i decided to close
the most srevices and run them as needed... is ssh (on
suse 7.2) safe enough?

Thanks for the help, im not so new on linux, but new
on security issues.

Leo

> You could actually leave SSH running all the
time

> and from there you can

> start or stop services as needed... SSH should
be

> safe enough...

> Anyway the idea is good and should be possible

> realize it with ssl and an

> apposite php/perl page on your webserver.
ENGARDE

> linux uses a page like

> that written in perl and running under ssl

> encryption to control all the

> system services and even the shutdown or rebbot
of

> the server.

> Regards

> Andrea Naggi

execute

> commands on demand?

> > Hi everybody

> > Im trying to improve security by making the

> minimal

> > services to run on a 7.2 server, now, my
question

> is

> > how to make services run and stop on demand,
like

> ssh

> > or inetd. Is possible to make.. say a web page

> under

> > ssl to launch and stop such services? or maybe

> > majordomo mail with the apropriate password?
the

> idea

> > is to have ONLY apache and sendmail running
all

> the

> > time, nothing more, then, run ftpd or ssh as

> needed,

> > then stop it.

> > Thanks

> > Great stuff seeking new owners in Yahoo!
Auctions!