Re: [suse-security] Online Update
  • From: Marcel Ritter <Marcel.Ritter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:51:41 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Markus Gaugusch wrote:

> Does/will Yast online update support HTTP (or at least http proxy)?
>
> As ftp is a weird protocol anyway, I don't think it should be used so
> much, especially for important things like updates. I have some servers
> behind an MS Proxy Server and can't use online update, because yast
> doesn't support any proxy, and socksify + bouncer on a machine with MS
> Proxy client installed doesn't work, too (http/ssh works thoug).
> And once again, why is YOU not half as cool as apt-get ??

Perhaps you want to set up your own apt server for your favourite RPMs?
As you said apt-get supports http (with/without proxy) and was ported to
support RPM packages by conectiva.

There is a project at sf, that makes setup of an apt server quite easy.
Feel free to have a look at:

apt4rpm.sf.net

... and join the apt4rpm club. It really rocks :-)

> thanks
> Markus

Ciao,
Marcel