Securing sendmail
  • From: Richard Ems <r.ems.mtg@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 19:27:31 +0100
Hi all!

I'm trying to secure sendmail's configuration a bit.
I'm running SuSE's sendmail-8.11.6-29 package on SuSE Linux 7.3.

Here my two questions:

1) Should I change the Greeting string (SmtpGreetingMessage) ?
Per default it will return lots of information such as "real"
hostname and sendmail's version. Is this info needed by some other mail
program?

2) And what about the help file (helpfile) ? This is also some
information which is probably not needed! So cat /dev/null > helpfile or
rm helpfile ?

Where do I found some info about securing sendmail?

Many thanks, Richard

--
Richard Ems
... e-mail: r.ems@xxxxxxx

Unix IS user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.