Re: [suse-security] Online Update
  • From: Gordon Pritchard <gordon.pritchard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 29 Jan 2002 10:48:44 -0800
On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 10:32, JW wrote:

> Anyway, that's not the worst of YOU's problems - it uses it's own
> internal patch manager and never consults rpm.

What?!?!?! Holy crap...

There are a number of dependencies I've resolved and indeed packages
I've installed by searching the 'Net and rpm'ing into place, both from
the command-line and using GUI package managers. It was my expectation
with these tools, and with YOU, that the underlying rpm-database was
sound, current, and accurate.

> I had to hack some things to get YOU to wake up. This is very bad.

I agree! Wholeheartedly!
Sync'ing should never be a problem, because a tool like YOU (or Webmin)
should sit atop the database.

> Also if you download, say 5 updates (this actually happened to me)
> and during the install part rpm gives an error, say on the second
> package, the installation ceases (i.e. the remaining packages do _not_
> get installed) yet YOU marks them as successfully installed anyway.

Separate problem, to be sure, but again "Holy Crap!" :-(

> This is very bad.

I did not know about these problems... Yes, I agree these are really
serious issues, Jonathan.

-Gord

--
Gordon Pritchard, P.Eng., Member IEEE
Technical University of B.C. - Research Lab Engineer