Re: [suse-security] Online Update
  • From: JW <jw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 13:23:56 -0600
At 10:48 AM 1/29/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>On Tue, 2002-01-29 at 10:32, JW wrote:
>
>> Anyway, that's not the worst of YOU's problems - it uses it's own
>> internal patch manager and never consults rpm.
>
> What?!?!?! Holy crap...
>
> There are a number of dependencies I've resolved and indeed packages
>I've installed by searching the 'Net and rpm'ing into place, both from
>the command-line and using GUI package managers. It was my expectation
>with these tools, and with YOU, that the underlying rpm-database was
>sound, current, and accurate.

I would like to point out here that I'm only referring to Yast Online Update, not the rest of YaST2 which does an admirable job of handling rpm. Which is why I don't understand the absurd patch handling of YOU - quite obviously the YaST2 programmers know how to work with rpm.

> I did not know about these problems... Yes, I agree these are really
>serious issues, Jonathan.

Does anyone think I should post to BugTraq? Or is there a better place then that for these kinds of issues? I suppose I should start with suse-linux-e....

Jonathan Wilson
System Administrator

Central Texas IT http://www.centraltexasit.com