Re: [suse-security] Online Update
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:24:52 +0100 (MET)

> What?!?!?! Holy crap...
>
> There are a number of dependencies I've resolved and indeed packages
> I've installed by searching the 'Net and rpm'ing into place, both from
> the command-line and using GUI package managers. It was my expectation
> with these tools, and with YOU, that the underlying rpm-database was
> sound, current, and accurate.

What makes you think differently?

besides, would somebody please answer this question:

Why would anybody use an (semi-) automatic update mechanism for some
specific package "abcpack" if you manually install newer versions of the
package (which, in turn, can't be made by SuSE)?

In addition to that: If you install your own package, then you can't claim
SuSE to be responsible for the lack of proficiency on your side. If you
change stuff in the system (be it exchanging a file that belongs to the
rpm subsystem) and expect that things are still the same as before, then
you are clearly wrong. Most of these little accidents are intercepted by
the framework (rpm subsystem, yast, yast2, scripts, ...), but it is
impossible to handle all of them.

The better some software is, the better it can handle faulty situations.
The only thing that is merely impossible to handle are defects that are
caused by a human.

> > I had to hack some things to get YOU to wake up. This is very bad.
>
> I agree! Wholeheartedly!
> Sync'ing should never be a problem, because a tool like YOU (or Webmin)
> should sit atop the database.

It does.

> > Also if you download, say 5 updates (this actually happened to me)
> > and during the install part rpm gives an error, say on the second
> > package, the installation ceases (i.e. the remaining packages do _not_
> > get installed) yet YOU marks them as successfully installed anyway.
>
> Separate problem, to be sure, but again "Holy Crap!" :-(
>
> > This is very bad.

Indeed. To quote: "Holy Crap!"

> I did not know about these problems... Yes, I agree these are really
> serious issues, Jonathan.
>
> -Gord

Roman.
--