Re: [suse-security] can't restart sshd after updgrade
  • From: Markus Gaugusch <markus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 18:25:14 +0100 (CET)
On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Peter Wiersig wrote:
> On Tuesday, 4. December 2001 17:02, Togan Muftuoglu wrote:
> > Note I can not log in as root and ssh is the only access to the
> > machine (meaning I do not have a terminal connected)
> Connect to your box,
> start a sshd on port 2222
> connect to this temporary sshd
> kill other instance of sshd
> restart sshd
I do it always with VNC, using an ssh tunnel to another machine in the
local network, if possible. This is also a good, trusted "backdoor", I
sometimes open for a few IP's. VNC itself is not encrypted, but for some
situations it can be used without security implications.

Markus

--
Markus Gaugusch ICQ 11374583 \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign