Re: [suse-security] SuSE Security Announcement: openssh (SuSE-SA:2001:045) (re-released SuSE-SA:2001:044)
  • From: engelbert.gruber@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 08:56:16 +0100 (CET)
On Mon, 10 Dec 2001 v.kuhlmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > > DANGER:
> > > as far as i can remeber rpm -ba (build all) might also do an install
> > > on newer rpms the installation might be not in root but if it is
> > > the old ssh is overwritten.
> >
> > Wow, and they say most drugs don't affect the memory. Unless you have an
> > extremely non standard version of RPM (hint: you do not) rpm -ba builds
> > source and nbinary rpm's, which are simply dropped into /usr/src/suse/RPMS/
> > whatever. You have to install them yourself.
>
> Careful Kurt, that's not correct. Depending on how the spec file is
yes yes , his wrong about the drugs, but i admit he is right about the memory.
> written, a full install is executed. Not doing this full install can
> make building the binary rpm rather difficult at times. Of course, not
> running rpm -ba as root is always a very good idea.
very good idea, but on the older spec files the install was always full,
and i think (my memory) rpm did not support it. so one must be root
to make an rpm, and the mentioned system was suse60, and newer rpms
might be hard to build as rpm matured ther are some macros added
... of course there are several ways around rpm
* donot use it (bad cause i like it)
* modify the spec
* ?

--