RE: [suse-security] getting mad connecting to (x)ntpd
  • From: "Reckhard, Tobias" <tobias.reckhard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 05:57:09 +0100
Dear colleagues,
> i wonder if suse took some sophisticated measures to prevent
> the xntpd from
> being contacted by clients :-|

No.

> I configured the server connecting to two "outside" servers
> as time sources.
> These connections work fine (shown with "ntpq -p"). The local
> source was
> left untouched. Now, if i try to "netdate" to this timeserver
> from a (linux)
> client, i immediately get the message "connection refused".
> Here's the ntpd.conf, maybe i've missed sth?
>
> Thanx a lot for your patience
> Uli
>

> server 127.127.1.0 # local clock (LCL)
> fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 10 # LCL is unsynchronized
>
> server 192.53.103.104 prefer
> server 212.19.48.35
>
> driftfile /etc/ntp.drift # path for drift file
>
> logfile /var/log/ntp # alternate log file
> logconfig =all

This looks pretty normal, though I'd probably remove the 'prefer' statement
(with lack of a reason not to) and the local clock statement, which does
more harm than good quite often (I believe to have observed that the sync to
UTC is lost faster when the link to the NTP servers is lost with an LCL
driver active, if the LCL isn't synched externally).

Are you sure 'netdate' which I don't know, uses NTP? I only know of
ntpdate..

Cheers
Tobias