Re: [suse-security] Hack, creating a directory with whitespace name only
  • From: Ray Dillinger <bear@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 21:20:01 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Peter Wiersig wrote:

>ls --help shows '-Q' which puts the listed item in quotes which is nicer.
>(I hope I remember that for those smb-shares... )
>
>But there are some tricks with control characters like "Carriage-Return" and
>"line-up" which could(?) overprint the line with the hidden dir with the
>following line.

On the one hand, I sort of like that the system doesn't break with
this kind of stuff in its directory structures: But on the other,
is there any legitimate thing that would break if filenames were
restricted to printing characters only?

I don't like spaces in filenames because it causes misparses in
command lines to be possible. The fact that spaces are normally
avoided in filenames is one of the things I think is Right about
unix that's not right with Windows and Macs.

Ray