Re: [suse-security] cable modem router and traceroute
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:53:44 +0100 (MET)

> The traceroute that ships with SuSE will not work with my cable modem
> router. I contacted the manufacture, and learned that SuSE is using a
> different traceroute than Red Hat and Mandrake. He sent me a link to ftp a
> traceroute that will work.
> /usr/sbin/mtr does work, as does ping.
>
> The traceroute that Red Had and Mandrake are distributing includes a -I
> option so it can be forced to use ICMP. The traceroute that comes with SuSE
> does not have a -I option and uses only UDP.
>
> What is the difference between the two traceroute programs? How is one more
> secure than the other?

Our traceroute had a format string error a while ago, the other's
traceroutes had different problems. We are glad that we ship the one we
have and not the other package. The fact that ICMP pings are not possible
is unfortunate, but (as I wrote to you privately already) the problem here
is not the traceroute but the cable modem.

> Bill

Roman.
--
- -