Re: [suse-security] Virus protection
  • From: <ksemat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 17:21:52 +0300 (EAT)
> I believe the system is quite safe like this since im using the latest patches and all. The problem is that the system is lying in a network with quite a few viruses. So i was wondering if instead of installing antivirus software, im better off enabling the suse firewall and giving access only to the specified ports which are needed. Otherwise deny everything else. Will that solve my problem? (will the virus packets be rejected by the firewall).

viruses?? I do not know of viruses for SuSE or for linux for that matter
or any other unix. Though there are some worms exploiting ssh, bind etc.
So in either case it is nice for you to put in SuSE firewall and allow
access to only those services. It would also be very good to run the
harden_suse script on your machine.

Noah.