Re: [suse-security] WindowsXP contact it's home ?!
  • From: Ray Dillinger <bear@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 12:59:17 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 14 Dec 2001, JW wrote:

>At 09:10 AM 12/14/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>>If you consistently prevent XP from contacting Microsoft, it
>>will quit working after sixty days.
>
>Do you know this for a fact? That would imply that you can't run WindowsXP without an Internet connection, which I find hard to belive - there's still plenty of offices and home computers without Internet connections.
>
>Do you know this from eXperience (pun intended), or did you red that somewhere?

I'm a QA analyst in my day job. We installed XP in our QA lab
(which has no internet connections) to test software on when it
first came out in MSDN. Sixty days later it quit working. Any
attempt to boot on that box popped up a dialog telling us to
get all the system information together and call Microsoft to
get the license validation code. We never did though; we were
shifting at that point to the NT testing phase, so we reimaged
the XP machine instead.

Microsoft started selling XP on October 25, so I figure a couple
days before Christmas this is going to start biting the general
public.

Bear