Re: [suse-security] firewall newbe
  • From: "Erwin Zierler - stubainet.at" <erwin.zierler@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 10:26:30 +0100
Sorry, but I can only agree to this partly. While it is definitely nice
to be able to look at existing firewall scripts for the purpose of
learning from them I have to stress the fact that for actually UNDERSTANDING firewalling it will almost always be necessary to cook your own rulesets. OK, not everyone has the time to do this and
everyone can make mistakes. But when it comes to security I prefer
to understand what I am doing and implement things myself. I'm sure
Marc has more insight in firewalling than most/many readers of this list
but I am also pretty sure he cannot predict all the differrent
situations that come up while securing a host/network. For this reason
many of us will run into the situation - sooner or later - where we
need to cook our own rules anyway, at least that's what I experienced
;-)

Erwin

PS.: from the question of the original poster I got the feeling he does
actually want to learn how things work which is the right approach
IMHO

---
Andreas Fiesser wrote:

Thomas Hohler wrote:

I am pretty new to the linux world.
Does anybody know where I can get a step by step description of setting up a
filewall for my private network?
I am running suse 7.3 prof. as gateway, static IP address, behind it are win
and Mac boxes.

I wouldn't bother trying to cook my own set of rules.
With SuSE come 2 scrips that do this for you. Marc is in this matter for years so I suspect he has a way better
grip on things than most of us here.

There is a new version out: www.suse.de/~marc/SuSE.html

www.suse.de/de/support/howto/secure_webserv/index.html
www.suse.de/de/support/security/

--
Erwin Zierler | web- / host- / postmaster - stubainet.at
| erwin.zierler@xxxxxxxxxxxx / webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx
| Tel.: 0 5225 - 64325 Fax 99 Mobil: 0664 - 130 67 91

< Previous Next >