Re: [suse-security] Port scans, what do to?!
We've found that if the scan comes from a large ISP (AOL, T-Online,
Wanadoo, etc etc) reporting the scan tends to be ignored, so we log them
for our reference.

However, if the scan has come from a non-profit organisation
(.org[.xx]), a university (.edu, .ac.uk) or from a private company's IP
that's either not an ISP, or a small one, we report them.

Of course some of them are still ignored, or acted upon without you
knowing, but some of them keep you in the loop.

--
James Ogley, Unix Systems Administrator, Pinnacle Insurance Plc
james.ogley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx www.pinnacle.co.uk +44 (0) 20 8731 3619

CONFIDENTIALITY. This e-mail and any attachments are
confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the
named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and
do not disclose the contents to another person, use it for any
purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Any
views expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender, except where the sender specifically states them to
be the views of Pinnacle Insurance Plc.

If you have received this e-mail in error please immediately
notify our Helpdesk on +44 (0) 20 8207 9555.

swept by MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.

www.mimesweeper.com