Re: [suse-security] Classical DOS attack on Linux
  • From: Boris Lorenz <bolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 15:33:57 +0100 (CET)
Yup,

On 19-Dec-01 Jurriaan Kalkman wrote:
[...]
>> Something for the kernel people to consider???!!!
>>
> Use ulimit to set sensible limits. If you don't, then don't
> be surprised when this happens. I rememeber Alan Cox saying
> something to this effect on this problem. It most certainly
> is not a kernel problem.
>
> Good luck,
> Jurriaan

You can also directly modify limits.h in the kernel include directory (usually
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/limits.h if you want to build a dedicated server
with local users. This way, you may save some time because you don't have to
set and administer soft limits on a per-user basis.

Boris Lorenz <bolo@xxxxxxx>
---