Re: [suse-security] Re: Newbie firewall installation question
  • From: Florian Kirchmeir <kflorian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 17:47:26 +0200
Hi Carl!

Well, yes, I guess that would in deed be a very secure solution, but not
very easy to administrate.
Having a read-only root partition requires quite some work, although
there are probably some good HOWTOs out there, describing the nesseccary
steps.
Another problem is that your read-write area doesn't survive a reboot,
so stuff like logfiles (well, you can log to another machine) or squid
caches (if you have that) are lost.
In short: certainly doable, but IMHO not worth the hassel.

Regards,
Florian Kirchmeir