Re: [suse-security] temp directories /home/tmp /tmp several questions.
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 20:46:49 +0200 (MEST)

> Does this effect us suse 7.2 pro users?
> http://securityportal.com/research/exploits/linux/suse/20000703-suse-tmp.txt

That article is wrong. default shell users _FOR_SURE_ do not have a home
located in /tmp (they must believe we're complete morons...).

This thing is rather old news. It was changed with the 7.0 already, and
the announcement from SuSE explains how to change the homes of the system
users to a directory owned by the respective user. This is the right
measure to fix the problem.

> Second ,
>
> I used to have a seperate /tmp partition but suse needed more space, and I
> wasn't ready to pop another 2G window partition to give it between 500M and
> 1G for a freaking temp directory. What is the benefit to having a seperate
> partition for the /tmp directory
>
> Note: I am not talking about /home/usr/tmp but /tmp and I am thinking it
> would need to be 1.0G right?

shmfs is swap, yes, so-to-say.

Thanks,
Roman.