firewall NICs on same subnet ADDENDUM
  • From: "gabriel.rivera" <defunct@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 23:54:50 -0700
One thing I forgot:

It actually doesn't work if the internal interface has a real address on the
same subnet as the external firewall interface and the internal hosts!! So
much for the subject heading :[

The internal interface of the firewall should have a private ip such as
10.0.0.1 !

the internal machines need a network route to the subnet in question AND
a hostroute to this private ip interface.

from route.conf

--snip--

my.subnet.add.ress 0.0.0.0 my.net.mas.k eth0
10.0.0.1 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.255 eth0
default 10.0.0.1

--snip--

Everything else from the previously stated firewall config applies, and
works quite nicely.

-g