Re: [suse-security] Misterious non functions with OpenSSH
  • From: Matthias Andree <ma+susesec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 22:12:12 +0200
Thomas Schweikle schrieb am Mittwoch, den 18. Juli 2001:

> if started manually in a shell (user stream, group stream). If started by
> cron this script will hang while running "ssh -l stream server ls ...". The
> command "ls" will execute, but ssh won't come back again. The connection is
> terminated after execution of the command.
>
> OpenSSH on host: openssh-2.9p1-23, SuSE 7.2
> OpenSSH on server: openssh-2.9p1-23, SuSE 7.2
> OpenSSH on server-extern: openssh-2.3.0p1-5, SuSE 7.0
>
> Any idea, why this happens? Did someone else notice this behavior?

I'm not sure since when (which version) exactly, but I have openssh's
ssh occasionally hanging when it's supposed to close the connection.
This affects both "send-command" and interactive sessions. I never took
the time to investigate this, but I never saw this happen with ssh.com's
ssh 1.2.2x. It might be client-related, since it also gives problems
when the connection to be terminated has been to a Solaris box where the
admin installed OpenSSH 2.5.2p2 (own compile, I believe, I can ask if
that matters).

I haven't yet investigated the problem (packet trace alongside with ssh
debug output or such).

I also believe I read somethings about packets received but never
delivered on the Linux-Kernel-mailinglist, it might be a patch Andrea
Arcangeli submitted to Alan Cox, but I'm not sure, and I cannot
currently find it, sorry.