RE: AW: [suse-security] DNS: BIND vs djbdns
  • From: Boris Lorenz <bolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:32:10 +0200 (MEST)
Hi,

On 31-Jul-01 Schoenwaelder Oliver wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had some reliability problems, too. I installed bind8-8.2.3-REL at our
> SuSE 7.0 from the original sources and bind crashed at least once a day.
> I never got a reason for this. But after installing the SuSE update rpm for
> 8.2.3 it never crashed again.
> I don't know what the differences are and I don't care...
> So I you are running a SuSE system try to install their package.

Well, although it's slightly OT I have to say that neither any bind4, nor bind8
installations crashed on any system I ever installed. Btw., I never used any
SuSE RPMs whatsoever for core services like DNS.

And what goes for all that talk about security and bind I think that the real
troublemakers were certain versions of bind4 and bind8.2.2, as well as bind9
with its new and funny leaks ;). Bind8.2.3-xxx runs very smoothly and AFAIK
there are no real 'issues' with it.

After all, even on the internet's root servers bind serves the world, so this
probably adds another aspect to the bind vs. djbdns, as bind is build for
performance and reliability. Don't know much about djbdns, though. Would be
nice to hear some more experiences securitywise.

> Hth,
>
> Oliver
[...]

Yup,