Re: [suse-security] updating bind8
  • From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 16:18:41 +0100 (MET)

> hey list,
>
> maybe offtopic, but bind8-update-relevant for me:
>
> during updating my 6.1-system, rpm told me to install
> bindutil before updating to bind8-8.2.3-0.
> there is no bindutil on my old rpm-cd's and so i downloaded
> the bindutil-update from the suse-server.
> during checking the installation of bindutil with rpm,
> i was told that there are a lot of conflicts with my old,
> non-binutil-using bind8.1.x.x.
> now what is the most elegant way of updating? uninstall the
> old bind8.1.x.x (saving conf's etc) or forcing the rpm-
> command?
>
> thanks in advance and sorry for
> wasting security-related-bandwidth...;-)

Not at all wasted.

The package was split into bindutil and bind8.

The best would be to deinstall bind8 and then to install the new bind8 and
bindutil packages. Save the config files before, like

cd /
tar cfvv /root/nameserver.tar etc/named.conf var/named

rpm -e bind8 # while the nameserver is running... doesn't matter.
rpm -Uhv bind8.rpm # may be necessary to force these commands
rpm -ihv bindutil.rpm # using --force and --nodeps

and finally

tar xfvvp /root/nameserver.tar

and `rcnamed restart´ to make the changes effective.

> daniel

Thanks,
Roman.
--