Re: AW: [suse-security] MS proxy NTLM
  • From: christian.burri@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 16:51:45 +0100

I can confirm that. NTLM stands for "NT Lan Manager" or something and means
that it's some obscure m$ proprietary standard. I never came across any
browser besides Internet Explorer to handle this form of authentication
(its a challenge/response authentication method IIRC, but dont quote me on
this; im not really sure...).

Anyways...yeah...ask the admin to switch to basic-auth or, maybe more
applicable, set up a SQUID cache that is allowed to bypass the MS Proxy.
Instruct your non-NTLM-aware browsers to use the SQUID instead of the MS
Proxy.

HTH

Chris Burri
junior Network & Systems Engineer