Re: [suse-security] Porn/Xrate-Filter
  • From: Sebastian Fallert <sfaller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 11:58:36 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, [iso-8859-1] Jürgen Dollinger wrote:

> If you have mixed classes with enough girls you will not need a filter.
> Or do you want it to protect teachers?

No. Girls generally don't hang out in the Computer Lab as much as boys do
hence they don't filter very much.
Further the main reason for porn filtering is keeping the parents (and
some teachers) happy. You don't really want to be in the situation where
parents ask you whether their kids will have non-restricted access to
porn, violence etc. and you have to say "sure".

In the Schoolnetwork Goettingen we have a junkbuster-based central
filter which is still being maintained by a couple of people. AFAIK they
look at the logs and analyse requests in the "environment" of the request
which caused the porn filter to hit (as someone looking for such content
will have tried this before he was stopped by the filter and after).

It's impossible to provide true protection for the kids; but it is
possible to make their parents and other teachers etc. feel better as there
are not only people in schools in favor of Internet use.

Regards, -Sebastian

--
Sebastian Fallert <s@xxxxxxxxxx> |"The maximum length of a function
Get PGP Key available at public | is inversely proportional to the

< Previous Next >
List Navigation