Bingo! <cross-posted> Re: my apsfilter environment messed up
  • From: dproc@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 18:20:04 -0500
On Fri, 02 Feb 2001, Peter wrote off-list:

> dproc@xxxxxxx:
> > My permission checks follow:
> > > chmod g+ -v /usr
> > mode of /usr retained as 0765 (rwxrw-r-x)
>
> > These look ok to me.
>
> /usr looks odd. why not 755? or 775 if needed. but a directory should have
> execution permission set.

Thank you for your eagle eyes Peter, that was exactly it.

I will leave until some day I am surfing the kernel sources
to ask why unsetting the group execute permission on /usr
only affected 'lp' and then only as a daemon child.

Others may want to ask if it was dproc's carelessness that
caused the problem, or something in harden_suse. Me - I am
deliriously happy to be printing.

Bye.