Firewalls, security scanning, etc.
  • From: "Jason P. Stanford" <rusticitas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 11:48:28 -0800 (PST)
What are some sources to educate myself on firewall, and especially
ways to test them? I've always been partial to O'Rielly books, but not
all are the "best" to go with. Also, any good sites? I'm looking for
some good low-level implementation advice, caveats, etc.

I'm currently using the SuSE firwall software, and as far as I can
tell it seems to be working just fine. But since I don't have a
*really* good working knowledge of them I don't trust that I really
have things battened down, so to speak.

Also, I've heard that there are some online web sites that offer
basic/trivial security scanning? Ie. Apparently some security
consultancy sites can scan your box remotely to look for the more
famous/obvious/common security holes. Who/what are they and are they
worth using?

-Jason

a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/